Tuesday, June 16, 2009

You've Been Served

Lately, a lot of conversations have popped up about tips and who is a good tipper vs. a bad tipper. There are certainly trends that I have seen. I don't like to call them stereotypes, but "observable trends," because the people in the restaurant industry experience these trends themselves instead of making judgments or statements without any background.

I think what many people forget is that as servers, the only money we make is the money that you are giving to us. After a mix-up with an order the other day at work, one of my guests asked if "my salary would be deducted" for the mix-up. I told him no, while the answer really rested with him. They're not going to deduct from my $2.13 an hour for a mix-up, but without a "proper" tip, I'm obviously not getting the salary that I would hope for either.

When I was in seventh grade my math teacher taught us how to calculate percentages and taught us to tip 15% and to help our parents do the math. Where do other people learn how to tip and learn what is a good or a bad tip? Where do people learn to round down or up when a bill ends in a 7? I still have yet to figure it all out and I'm sure I never will. Every day is a new learning experience about people and how they view and treat others. It's part of the reasons I am so intruiged by the food service industry. I love the constantly change of people yet familiarity of the atmosphere; it keeps things exciting.

Next time you go out, throw an extra dollar or two (or three, or four) on your tip. You might just make someone's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment