Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Food adventures: salmon in a brown sugar bourbon glaze

Ah, seafood! I mentioned in a previous post that salmon is my favorite fish, and after my teriyaki salmon, I still had two fillets left in the freezer pack I bought. I found this recipe (can't recall where, but I think either allrecipes.com or the Food Network) and don't really cook stuff like this, so I decided to give it a try.

The recipe started out with melting butter with brown sugar, so it looked like this:



Then I added the salmon, let it cook, turned, and added the bourbon and let it cook some more:



I paired it with some rice (also one of my staple foods) and some green beans that I had in the freezer. It's not that I'm a HUGE fan of freezer food, but I can't seem to make it to the grocery store often enough to always get vegetables when they're fresh. With such a tight schedule it's difficult to grocery shop more than once a month right now. Once I get settled with school and my multiple jobs maybe I can work some more time in and get fresh vegetables because they're cheaper, but for now, freezer vegetables will have to do.

The end product looked like this:




I enjoyed it, though I will admit I didn't get too much of the bourbon glaze and it had more of a brown sugar taste. Maybe next time I'll add a little more bourbon to get more of the flavor. The brown sugar also burned a little easier than I thought it would, so next time I will certainly experiment so I can figure out how to not get that.

Since I just returned from a trip, I have some thoughts going on in my head about difficulties going out to eat with all my food allergies. It's becoming increasingly difficult, and although I may joke about it, it's become a thorn in my side and it's most of the reason that I don't go out to eat, but on trips, it's a necessity. Others' jokes and whatnot sometimes help, and sometimes they don't. But I'll save those thoughts for another post.

Happy eating!

1 comment: